Limited Time Deals at Cabelas.com

Thursday, November 24

Black & White

When I was in high school, back in the mid-70s, people with dark skin and physical attributes consistent of the negro race were referred to as "black." It was a simple time; you were either black or white.

Sometime later, people of the negro race no longer wanted to be called "black." They demanded to be called "African (hyphen) American. WHAT? First of all, African-American is not a description of ones race. It is a title of ones heritage. Example: If you come from South Africa, with skin as white as the driven snow, you could claim to be African-American, right? But wait, you don't have dark skin, or physical characteristics of the negro race. So, what does that make you? Answer: Caucasian.

Over the years I have filled out job applications that ask for my race. On the forms are the following choices: African (hyphen) American, White, Asian, Latino, etc. I always check "other," and write in "German-American." It isn't my race, but it is my heritage, just like African-American is a heritage.

Practically every evening while watching the news I here some reported refer to a negro as an African-American, and I cringe. WHAT? I ask the television. What does this person look like? Is this person dark skinned, or Caucasian? What am I to be looking for? Of course, there is no answer from the TV.

Do you see my point? If you have an opinion on my philosophy, please take the time to reply. Your reply will be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment